Here you will find how we collect, use and disclose your information, and how you can correct or change your Personal Information.
We provide various legal, conveyancing and administration services (our Services). We need various information from you to perform our Services as best as possible.
We also collect information from you when you visit our website, www.mackenzie-elvin.com (Website), to contact you or to otherwise market our Services to you.
Collection of Information
We collect various information about you. This information includes:
- information that personally identifies you such as your name, address, email address and phone number (Personal Information), being:
- personal information provided by you when engaging us to provide Services, or that we require to provide our Services; or
- personal information provided by you for any other reason, including enquiries you submit; and
- information that does not personally identify you (Non-Personal Information), being:
- non-personal information provided by you when using our Website or for any other reason, including enquiries you submit;
- information collected by us through click tracking in relation to your use of our Website, including the content you upload and the content you access;
- aggregated data, which tracks traffic to our Website, including your device identifier, server address, IP address, domain, the platform you are using, browsers used when accessing our Website, search terms you use, pages accessed on our Website, links that are clicked, and time and date of visits; and
- “cookies”, which are pieces of information transferred to your computer hard drive for record-keeping (more information about “cookies” is provided further below).
By allowing us to use your information (including Personal Information), we can provide you with the relevant Services you require and market our Services to you. Failure to provide, or allow us to obtain, information (including Personal Information) may result in certain functions of our Website or our Services not being available to you.
Use of Personal Information
The Personal Information we collect may be used for the following purposes:
- verification of your identity;
- to answer enquiries you submit with us;
- to fulfil our Services to you;
- to collect money from you that is owed;
- to provide you information, advice and guidance as part of our Services, including that is tailored to you;
- to assist in providing better Services to you by tailoring them to meet your needs;
- to request feedback about our Services;
- to provide information about our offerings that we think you may be interested in;
- to send you information we think you may reasonably be interested in, including by way of a newsletter;
- to promote or market special offers related to our Services or industry in general, including products services provided by others; and
- to protect and/or enforce our legal rights and interests, including defending any claim made by you; and
- for any other use that you authorise or that is otherwise authorised under the Privacy Act 2020 or any other relevant laws.
If you do not wish to receive communications from us for any of the purposes described above (excluding verification, answering queries, fulfilling our services to you, debt collection and providing you customised information, which are necessary for us to provide our Services to you), you may unsubscribe from receiving any such communications.
Disclosure of Personal Information
We may disclose your Personal Information for the purposes described above, including sharing your Personal Information with our employees and officers and between our related entities and their employees and officers.
We may also disclose your Personal Information to our contractors and other businesses we work with in relation to our Services or that otherwise support our business, including:
- marketing agencies, analytics providers and market research providers;
- our lawyers, accountants, auditors, insurers, financiers and other professional advisors; and
- IT service providers and any person that hosts or maintains any underlying IT system or data function, including cloud-based software, storage and/or systems which are associated with our functions and or activities.
We may also disclose any and all information that we collect from you when we believe release is appropriate to comply with laws or regulations, enforce or apply our client terms of engagement, or to protect the rights, property, or safety of us, you, our users, or others or to satisfy legal processes or governmental requests.
We take reasonable steps to protect your Personal Information we collect from unauthorised access, loss or misuse. However, as no data transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed to be completely secure, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit or receive to us. These activities are conducted at your own risk.
Accessing and Updating your Personal Information
You have rights of access to and correction, erasure or restriction of your Personal Information that we hold. You may request that we do so by contacting our privacy officer, Deborah Johnston, by email: email@example.com.
No fee is required to exercise the rights outlined in the clause above. However, we may charge a fee if your request is unfounded, repetitive or excessive or we may refuse your request.
Advertising and Links
We may provide links to other sites, which may not follow the same privacy policies as us. We recommend that you check any relevant privacy policies before providing your personal information to any third party.
You acknowledge that we have no control over the privacy policies of other businesses and you agree it is your responsibility to review such privacy policies prior to submitting any personal details to them.
We may link to various social networking sites. Your personal information may be accessed and viewed by users of those sites if you submit your information on those sites. You acknowledge and agree that we are not responsible for protecting your personal information on these sites.
By accessing our Website, some Non-Personal Information such as your IP address, device, browser and domain and the date and time of your access may be recorded in a “cookie” file.
We may use the information generated by "cookies", tracking pixels and other related technologies to:
- track traffic patterns to and from our Website including information like the pages you visit, the time you spend on each page, the date and time of your visit, and referring pages (pages you came from or go to);
- ensure advertising is being shown to the most appropriate person and limit the frequency of display for certain advertisement formats;
- identify and maintain certain views and options for user preference; and
- enable us and our affiliates or partners (such as Google and Facebook) to serve targeted advertising to you and to “remarket” to you (on our Website and elsewhere).
Use and Disclosure of Non-Personal Information
Rights to Information
The information we hold about you and the related rights we have in relation to that information (as outlined above) are held by Mackenzie Elvin Law. Mackenzie Elvin Law is the controller and is responsible for your Personal Information.
You acknowledge that we may transfer or licence the information (including Personal Information) and related rights to affiliates or to any third party in the process of sale or part sale of our business.
You have a right to make a complaint to the Privacy Commissioner in New Zealand. However, we would appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns before you approach the Privacy Commissioner.